Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Silent Dinner

Jadon decided tonight at dinner to make it a "silent dinner". I have been teaching Kurt and the kids signs for the foods we are eating at dinner time and also how to make a request for something. I love watching Jadon as he is thinking and processing in his little mind to come up with the correct signs for "May I please have ____?" Sydney would prefer to fingerspell everything, which drives me crazy! I try to tell her that there is an easier way...but what do parents know when you have an almost 8 year old??? Kurt was in and out of the house during dinner tending to the flooding in our backyard and side yard due to day 3 of ALL DAY rain, literally. We are hopeful for only 2 more days of rain.

A friend and colleague of mine sent me Baby Signs DVDs and board books and we have been researching Signing Times DVDs and books. I cannot believe how much is available for teaching children sign language since I last taught hearing impaired children. It's also hard to believe that it's been 8 years since I last taught hearing impaired. We are blessed to have a wonderful deaf education program in our school district. If all goes well, Jackson will be able to come to the school I teach at when he is 3 years old.

No comments: